Digital Employee Experience (#DEX) is an outcome-focused approach to designing and managing intranets and digital workplaces that places emphasis on solutions which make life easier for employees, and provide an excellent user experience. But how can intranet and digital workplace teams implement platforms and solutions which have strong #DEX at their centre?
Teams can use these five “powers” to make sure what they are working on digital workplaces which provide a focused, holistic, relevant and impressive experience for employees:
“Cohesion” – the third “power” of DEX – ensures that digital workplaces provide a consistent, joined-up and integrated experience.
Without a commitment to #DEX, digital workplaces and intranets can be disjointed, fragmented and highly frustrating. An intranet or digital workplace designed with #DEX in mind provides a coherent user experience, reducing the need to enter multiple applications and providing easy access to tools so employees can get things done.
Teams working on a cohesive experience ensure that there is single sign-on and may create a single point of entry into applications to save time; often the intranet may be the front door into the wider digital workplace.
A digital workplace with #DEX also provides a strong, consistent experience across different devices and ensure employees can access all services from wherever they are, including outside the office. This means it must also be aligned and in harmony with the physical workplace.
Ultimately a coherent #DEX means a coherent experience for staff across their working day.
Joined-up thinking produces joined-up experiences
The winners of the Intranet and Digital Workplace Awards lead the way in providing a coherent and focused employee experience.
- Liberty Mutual produced an exceptional digital assistant based on a microservices architecture, allowing any application with an API to be easily integrated; now users can view content and complete transactions from multiple systems all from a single entry point
- Rambler Group produced a beautifully-designed custom intranet which is evolving into a digital workplace with expanding capabilities and multiple integrations, including special modules dedicated to project management and a rich variety of HR-related processes, all in one platform with a consistent look and feel
- Ascham school produced a new custom-built digital workplace as a single, evolving platform to improve multiple processes for staff, students and parents
- At Ramboll Group the team produced an ambitious ‘digital workspace’ designed to be a single platform where previously disparate applications are being rebuilt and assimilated into a coherent, digital ecosystem
- At MITRE Corporation the team navigated extremely stringent information security constraints to deliver as much intranet functionality to mobile devices as they could within a single app including submitting timecards and accessing the employee directory.
The vacation booking form is an example of how the intranet is expanding into a digital workplace, with a single interface for a range of capabilities. Screenshot appears courtesy of Rambler Group.
Get inspiration for #DEX
For more information on all the above award-winning case studies and to get related screenshots, purchase the 2018 Intranet & Digital Workplace Showcase report. It can help you get the right inspiration for your own #DEX initiative!