Connections from Shutterstock
While intranets are almost universal in organisations, most have grown organically over time. The result is a haphazard mix of great functionality, and dated elements.
What’s needed is a strategy that provides a direction and roadmap for delivering a modern intranet. We blend insights from staff and stakeholders with our unique intranet knowledge, to deliver insightful and practical findings.
Our intranet services are vendor agnostic, and informed by 20+ years of in-depth experience.
Essential intranets are an integral part of daily working practices, and they directly support the core business of the organisation.
(Read more in Essential intranets: inspiring sites that delivery value)
The central role of intranets within organisations makes it hard to know where to go next:
- the nature of intranets is changing radically, such as the rise of social and mobile
- new technology platforms are introducing many new features
- the entire organisation is a stakeholder for the intranet
- competing opinions and priorities make it hard to develop a coherent plan
- not being able to see what other organisations are doing, makes it hard to find best practices
How we can help
We can help with every aspect of intranets:
- Conducting user research (needs analysis) to identify opportunities and challenges, going beyond just “asking staff what they want”.
- Engaging with stakeholders to ensure alignment of business needs with intranet plans.
- Developing an intranet strategy and roadmap, providing a concrete plan to deliver a modern intranet.
- Establishing a business case for a new intranet platform and solution.
- Determining a new design and navigation, through the use of best-practice user experience (UX) techniques.
- Creating strategies and designs for mobile intranets, meeting the needs of field and frontline staff.
- Integrating social and collaboration into intranet strategies, plans and designs (read more about our social expertise).
- Establishing effective intranet governance, that engages the entire organisation and ensures the intranet will be sustainable for the long term.
- Help to select a new technology platform for the intranet (read more about our technology expertise).
Case study: Creating a new staff intranet at University of Sydney
The project to deliver Sydney University’s first staff intranet was a daunting one, potentially requiring huge amounts of content to be reworked, restructured and migrated. The key to success was a targeted project plan, a disciplined approach, and excellent stakeholder engagement. Read more »
A few of our clients
What our clients say
Catherine has spent many years consulting on intranets – her deep experience and knowledge of all things intranet makes her advice and knowledge invaluable. She is good at conveying complex information in an engaging, enthusiastic and simple manner, and gets to the crux of the matter very quickly. Catherine has many contacts in the intranet field and is always abreast of best practice in intranets across a range of industries. She is a great go-to person for finding out the latest trends and helping to solve your particular problems. Also, she’s just nice!
- Francine Buchanan, Internal Communications Advisor, World Vision Australia
James has been instrumental in helping us identify what it is we want in a new Intranet. He has led several workshops to develop our Intranet strategy; fully supported us through stakeholder research and scoping; and closely advised us on the vendor selection process. But most importantly, James has provided invaluable guidance and kept us on course when momentum was slowing and the project was at risk of becoming too complex. We are now 3 months out from launch and are on track to deliver an Intranet that will support the whole organisation to work, communicate and collaborate better into the future.