* Screenshot remains the copyright of the entrant, and may not be reproduced without written permission.
John Lewis Partnership: Keeping the workforce engaged and involved
UK-based retailer John Lewis Partnership has created a new intranet for 78,000 “partners” who work across two major brands. The intranet is based on LumApps and brings together a number of information channels. Because the company is employee-owned there is an emphasis on transparency and involving partners in communications.
Delivered in only four months, but based on extensive user research and a thorough content audit, targeted communications are delivered in an attractive and clear design. A simple navigation and scoped searches for different intranet areas ensure good findability.
The “Gazette”, an editorially independent intranet section, allows staff to ask questions on any topic, while community functionality allowed staff to give input on a new strategy. The intranet has kept partners informed, involved and engaged during the pandemic.
Why this won a Gold award
- This is a very well-executed communications-focused intranet with a pleasing design that successfully reflects the company brand.
- The simple navigation and variety of search experiences are very well done.
- We applaud the detailed discovery process and related testing that have helped define the requirements.
- Carrying out a thorough content audit before the project starts has high value, and reducing the content from 7,000 pages to 700 is even better.
- We love how partners are involved in the intranet through the strategy formation process,Gazette letters and commenting, helping drive engagement, transparency and clarity.
- The support during COVID-19 has been critical and creating a site to engage furloughed partners is an excellent approach.
- The four-month implementation time is impressive, given the quality of the intranet.
Full case study
Get a copy of the full case study as part of the 2021 Intranet & Digital Workplace Showcase report. This is packed with real-world screenshots and insights that will inspire your leadership team, and help you deliver a successful project.