* Screenshot remains the copyright of the entrant, and may not be reproduced without written permission.
PCL Construction: Sharing and accessing knowledge via the intranet
PCL Construction has refreshed its PCL Connects intranet in SharePoint Online, using both out-of-the-box web parts and customised areas. The intranet is personalised to make content relevant for a diverse, international workforce.
Highlights include a knowledge area containing controlled documents with extensive metadata to enhance findability and a project area with dedicated pages for over 30,000 projects with salient details for each. There are also areas for each of PCL’s locations.
Engagement-led features include an area to celebrate employee milestones where employees can also send congratulations to their peers. The intranet also supports PCL’s innovation program with an ideation tool, a video library of knowledge-sharing sessions inspired by TED talks, and an area for Communities of Practice.
Why this won a Gold award
- This is an intranet with well thought-through areas that have real business value, which also focuses on communication and engagement.
- The project area is excellent, with well structured pages and a wide scope of over 30,000 projects, as well as being aligned with associated business processes.
- There’s some strong work behind the scenes with an extensive use of tagging and metadata, making documents more findable.
- The PCL Talks area is a great way to encourage knowledge sharing, and is complemented by a well-designed communities area.
- We love the touches relating to employee milestones, where users get messages from peers and see confetti on their homepage.
- The personalisation is effective, for example with a dedicated web part to show the right HR contact name for each location.
- We applaud ongoing data-driven approaches to improving search.
Full case study
Get a copy of the full case study as part of the 2022 Intranet & Digital Workplace Showcase report. This is packed with real-world screenshots and insights that will inspire your leadership team, and help you deliver a successful project.