Convince your boss – the value of Forum membership
You’re not alone – immediate access to hundreds of practitioners, global experts and best practice thinking
The business benefits are immediate, with proven value for practitioners and organisations allowing you to tap into a ready made community, global experts and best practice thinking and resources.
The Step Two Forum is specifically designed to help teams deliver more successful and more valuable digital workplaces. Membership provides many organisational benefits:
- deliver a better and more valuable intranet, digital workplace and digital employee experience
- maximise benefits gained from existing investment
- achieve more with existing time and resources
- gain access to the best and latest thinking on intranets, digital workplaces and digital employee experiences worldwide
- stop reinventing the wheel, by making use of proven ideas from other organisations
- access specialist knowledge to supplement existing staff members, within existing budgets
- increase you or your team’s confidence and satisfaction, supporting motivation and continuity of team
- reduce risks by avoiding mistakes already made by others
What to expect at the Step Two Forum
- unique opportunities to connect directly with the practitioners you need to help you succeed (no matter the challenge you face)
- evolve your understanding of current and best practice and learnings
- network and learn from others both inside and outside your industry
- be inspired by thought leaders and innovators
- continuous learning and latest trends
- mix of learning and resources to suit different styles
Making a case to management
The value of the Step Two Forum for you and your team is clear, but the challenge may be to put a strong enough case to management. To help with this, here is our suggestion on how to raise the topic with your manager:
Email: Convince your boss to join the Step Two Forum
Here’s your requested draft letter to your boss! Feel free to change the text to suit your needs, but don’t forget to update the sections in red before sending it to your boss!
Hi [insert your bosses name]
I am interested in joining the Step Two Forum a professional community for intranet and digital workplace teams to:
- enable our team to build new skills (from global experts and thought leaders)
- fast track our intranet and digital workplace initiatives
- improve the overall effectiveness of our digital employee experience
- get instant access to practitioners and experts that have faced (and overcome)
What can the Forum do for [insert your Organisation’s name]
Our intranet/digital workplace is [insert a general statement here about your intranet/digital workplace e.g. is at the first stage of evolution, being used by office staff only OR recognised as the go to place for organisational information].
Over the next 6-12 months, the key ares of focus are:
- item 1
- item 2
- item 3
[examples might include: redesign the HR section to support self service, improve the overall digital employee experience, create an authoring community to improve the quality of content, redesign the homepage to meet the needs of frontline employees]
The forum will provide me with tools, techniques and real life examples of how to improve our intranet/digital workplace specifically around best practice, advice on how to avoid the pitfalls and concrete examples of what others have done to support our initiatives.
I will also be inspired to think about our digital employee experience in new and creative ways improving my perspective and allowing me to focus on what I want to achieve both personally and for [organisation name] as well as sharing valuable takeaways and insights with the whole team contributing to everyone’s success.
For the same investment as a single conference, the forum gives me access to a year’s worth of ongoing learning and resources to support the team (without having to leave the state!).
The forum is an annual membership of [insert cost based on your membership level] giving me/the team access to [insert inclusions based on membership level].
Thank you for considering my request. I look forward to discussing this opportunity with you further.
Some general hints on how to approach your approving manager
Think about the person approving this request.
- What are their expectations of what you and your team should achieve next?
Provide an example of how the benefits of the Forum match their expectations. Emphasise solutions, answers and outcomes.
- Do they have an outwards looking viewpoint?
Are they interested in what other organisations are achieving? Emphasise the insider access to other organisations, to see live tours and connect one on one with teams across the globe (From London to Los Angeles, and Berlin to Barbados). Build a reputation of your organisation by being part of this unique and innovative group of intranet and digital workplace practitioners.
- Do they have a risk based approach to business?
Are they interested in your team avoiding the mistakes that have been done in the past by other organisations and not having to “reinvent the wheel”.