In many organisations, the most important staff are those out in the field, and at the frontline. These staff may not have a desk or regular PC access, but still have intensive information and process needs.
More broadly, there is a push to ‘anywhere’ productivity, where staff can do their work regardless of where they’re located. These trends shine a light on the potential for mobile devices and remote access to transform how staff work.
- What six things do staff want on their mobile devices? When in the field, staff only want a few key things on their mobile devices, not the whole intranet.
- Intranet access challenges Many key frontline and operational staff have limited access to desktop-based intranets. How best to reach them?
- Five layers of enterprise mobile design Designing for mobility goes beyond just small screens and touch interactions, to encompass the user’s context and tasks.
- Plan for BYOD Organisations need to quickly start planning their support for bring your own (mobile) device.
- Intranet kiosks or remote access? There are many staff that have little (or no) access to a computer during work hours, and there are two main approaches for making intranet available: kiosks and remote access.
Sources for facts and figures
- The Digital Workplace Trends Jane McConnel’s comprehensive survey results on trends in the digital workplace
- Smartphones: THE Device for Mobile Workers Global perspective on the smartphone as a mobile work tool
- IT’s Arab spring: Personal technology at work The Economist special report on how consumer trends are impacting employee expectations in the workplace
- Transforming business: Big data, mobility and globalisation Broad coverage of impact of technology on the organisation now and in the coming years
- Beyond the PC: Special report on personal technology How mobile digital gadgets are overshadowing the personal computer
Further reading on the Step Two site
- Frontline staff Articles tagged with frontline
- Mobile Articles tagged with mobile
- BYOD Articles tagged with byod
- Responsive design Articles tagged with responsive web design
- Collaboration Articles tagged with collaboration
- Community Articles tagged with community
- Staff directories Articles tagged with staff directories
- Social intranets Articles tagged with social