Filed under: Intranet and digital workplace awards
The 2019 Intranet and Digital Workplace Awards celebrate a real diversity of intranet and digital workplace projects and initiatives. Very different organisations from around the world — spanning from 250 to 250,000 employees — have adopted a range of approaches and tactics. All of them, however, provide a treasure trove of information and inspiration for intranet and digital workplace teams.
One question we get asked every year, however, is: what technology platforms did the winners use?
While there’s a lot more to a winning solution that the underlying platform, it’s nonetheless a practical question that intranet teams (and the stakeholders they report to) want to know.
So, here is the answer:
What the 2019 Award winners used
|Winner||Brief description||Platform used|
|American Express||Transforming global IT support for employees||Custom-built solutions|
|Bank of Russia||Delivering a great intranet with modern UX||SharePoint 2013|
|BHP||Creating an engaging custom global intranet||SharePoint Online, Microsoft Teams|
|Duke Energy||Aligning a new intranet with company culture||Office 365, SharePoint Framework React|
|Faegre Baker Daniels||Supporting successful work in a law firm||SharePoint 2016 on-premises|
|Lloyds Banking Group||Facilitating world-class collaboration||Jive-n|
|Mayo Clinic||Applying governance across local intranets||WordPress, Custom development|
|NLMK Group||Extending a social intranet to frontline staff||Bitrix24|
|Public Works Authority Ashghal||Streamlining employee tasks via a portal||SharePoint 2016, MS SQL Server 2016, ASP.NET, REST APIs, Web Services|
|Shepherd & Wedderburn||Empowering lawyers to work more efficiently||Custom-built with SQL Server for core data, PHP front-end|
|Stagecoach||Engaging frontline workers via a mobile app||Blink Employee App|
|Travelex||Creating a virtual community via an intranet||Interact|
|Wells Fargo||Rolling out a portal based on microservices||Custom-developed .NET application on a microservices architecture|
What does this tell us?
A number of conclusions and observations can be made:
- Office 365 or SharePoint is widespread, but they’re not the only options available. The Awards clearly show that a wide variety of different solutions and technical platform can deliver excellent results.
- Customisation takes digital workplaces further and faster. Many teams across this year’s winners have chosen to customise, ranging from front-end design work to building an entire digital workplace ecosystem from scratch.
- “Intranet in a box” and social networking products can deliver great results. This includes using relatively mature products such as Jive-n or Interact respectively.
- On-premises solutions are still prevalent. Over a third of the winners are on-premises, particularly among regulated industries.
- It’s not the platform that delivers success, it’s what’s done with it. The right vision, strategy, scope and execution makes a real difference, regardless of the technology.
Want to know more? The 2019 Intranet and Digital Workplace showcase report contains extensive details (and screenshots) on each of the winning entries. See what the winners have done, and how they’ve used the technology on offer to have great impact.