Almost every medium-to-large organisation has an intranet, yet many staff complain that they can’t find what they need to do their jobs. Designing a successful intranet has been a black art to date, with limited opportunities to see other intranets or to share practical approaches. This has made it hard for intranet and project teams to be confident that they are producing the best possible site.
Thankfully there is now a definitive textbook for teams starting into a design or redesign project. In 275 pages, full-colour throughout, this book provides a practical step-by-step methodology for project teams. Key techniques are outlined that work for intranets of every size, all designed to ensure that the new site meets staff needs.
Drawing on more than 10 years industry experience, and written by the leaders in intranet thinking, the strategies and techniques outlined have been tested in many different situations. The many screenshots and examples provide further insight into successful intranet designs.
Following a best-practice ‘user-centred’ approach, this book covers key topics such as:
- common design mistakes
- understanding staff needs
- defining the intranet brand
- determining what to deliver
- creating new site structure and page layouts
- practical testing techniques, including card sorting and tree testing
- designing the intranet homepage
- personalisation and targeting
- accelerated approaches
Richly illustrated throughout with screenshots from a wide range of intranets, this book provides teams with both inspiration and practical answers. Written by James Robertson, the most prolific author in the world on intranet topics, this book is a must-have for all intranet and project teams.
Build your intranet library
This book combines with our two other books, Essential intranets and What every intranet team should know. Together, they provide an invaluable intranet library for all teams.
Our best-selling books Essential intranets, Designing intranets and What every intranet team should know have been read by teams around the globe. They give invaluable guidance for intranet projects, whether planning a brand-new intranet, or revamping an existing site.
Like all Step Two publications, they are:
- targeted to the real-world needs of teams
- clear, concise and well-structured
- product and vendor agnostic
- up to date, with full-colour screenshots throughout
Buy in bulk and save
Purchase bulk orders, and make these savings:
- 5+ copies, save 10%
- 10+ copies, save 15%
- 25+ copies, save 20%
- 50+ copies, save 30%
These discounts apply to your total order, so you can mix-and-match as you want. For example, purchase 5 copies of “Essential intranets” and 5 copies of “Designing intranets”, and get the 10+ copy discount.
Simply add the books to your shopping cart, and the discounted price will be applied automatically. We’ve also set up shipping costs for bulk orders, making it all a one-step process. Easy!
Why make a bulk purchase?
For intranet teams:
- stock up the intranet team’s “lending library”
- provide copies of the books to decentralised content owners and authors
- provide copies of the books as intranet anniversary or Christmas “presents”
For educational institutions:
- provide the books as a standard texts for KM, information management or UX courses
For product vendors and implementers:
- giving the books as promotional gifts to prospective or current customers
- using the books to help customers deliver a great intranet
- giving copies to the sales team, to get them up to speed quickly
- using the books as inspiration for product upgrades
For consulting firms:
- build in-house skills amongst the consulting team
- provide a foundation for intranet design methodologies
- educate customers on the importance of intranet design
- offer them as “thank you” gifts to customers