Yesterday I gave the keynote presentations at Intranätdagarna (Intranet Days) 2011 in Stockholm, Sweden. A friendly crowd, and some great presentations from the other speakers.
The talk shared in this post looked at social tools within organisations, a hot topic for many. My key points:
- There are many different types of “social tools”, under the one umbrella, all working in different ways.
- You can’t change the culture of the organisation using social tools.
- Social tools are only interesting when they help the business, meeting a need or solving a problem.
- Business value is delivered in the way tools are used, rather than from the tools themselves.
- When it comes to business benefits, focus on concrete outcomes (eg customer service, product development), rather than “soft” goals (such as improving communications or knowledge sharing).
- Get out into the organisation, understand operational needs, and deliver great solutions.
The video from British Airways I played was a great hit, as was the $8million of savings from AEP.